Just like the SURFE²R N1, the SURFE²R 96SE employs SSM-based electrophysiology to resolve small currents of transporters and pumps, but elevates the throughput to the next level by parallelization of 96 measurements. The transporter samples are added to gold coated sensors in a standard 96 well-plate format. To further reduce the user's workload, all sensor coating steps can be done by the SURFE²R 96SE itself. Any substrate can be added to activate the transporter. The resulting transport or binding currents will be detected and analyzed accordingly. The whole process, from sample preparation and measurement to data analysis, is fully automated.
Features of the SURFE²R 96SE
• Recording of 96 wells in parallel using a 96-channel low-noise amplifier
• 10,000 data points per day
• Integration into the small footprint pipetting platform CyBio® Felix
• Automatization of experimental workflows including sample preparation
• Automated data analysis and export, e.g. determination of EC50
• 8 positions for different solutions (1 well to 96 well)
Features of SSM-based electrophysiology
• > 100 targets validated, 100 peer reviewed papers using SSM-based electrophysiology
• Transporters, pumps and ligand gated channels
• Measure even electroneutral exchangers and sugar binding
• Use purified membranes and vesicles from cells or proteoliposomes
• Label-free electrical measurements
• Requires only 0.1 – 1 µg protein per sensor. This is sufficient for up to 100 experiments
• Real-time data with high time resolution of 5 ms, not single point read-out
• High signal amplification compared to patch-clamp
• Fast binding kinetics can be resolved
• EC50, IC50, rate constants, comparison of transporter variants,...
The technology employs solid-supported membrane- (SSM-) based electrophysiology which was established in the late 1990s. Details about SSM-based electrophysiology are presented in the Technology section. The SURFE²R 96SE is preferred over the SURFE²R N1 when a high throughput environment is needed. This is the case, e.g. for compound or transporter screening projects. The SURFE2R 96SE is also suitable to increase throughput for basic research. Data generation is approximately 100 times faster compared to the SURFE2R N1.
For detailed information:
SURFE²R 96SE Device & Software
The SURFE2R 96SE device
The SURFE2R (surface electrogenic event reader) technology is the only available commercial solution for SSM-based electrophysiology on the market. Nanion Technologies developed the SURFE2R N1 as an easy-to-learn all-in-one device for universities and basic research and the high-throughput device SURFE2R 96SE.
The SURFE2R 96SE is integrated into the CyBio® Felix liquid handling platform. Nanion Technologies provides the electrophysiological hardware and the computer running a software package for data recording and analysis. The device can not only be used for electrophysiological measurements, but also for sample preparation and pipetting purposes. The device can measure 10,000 data points a day in a fully automated manner. In contrast to the SURFE2R N1, the SURFE2R 96SE also comes with a dedicated data analysis software which allows for automated analysis of the massive amount of data you generate each day.
The SURFE2R 96SE uses sensors in a standard 96-well plate format. Membranes containing the protein of interest are adsorbed onto these sensors. The measurement is initiated by a substrate concentration jump. The solution exchange is controlled by the liquid handling platform CyBio® Felix. The pipetting head contains 96 pipettes which load solutions from solution positions and inject them to the sensor plate. All 96 sensors of the sensor plate are measured simultaneously, but different solutions or transporters can be used for each measurement.
The sensor plate is enclosed by a Faraday cage and connected to a 96-channel amplifier as well as 96 gold pins which work as reference electrodes. The CyBio® Felix holds up to 8 well plates for 8 to 8 x 96 different solutions which allows up to 7 sequential measurements using different conditions in each automated workflow. The CyBio® pipettor allows the measurement of fast kinetics with low solution consumption, showing a time resolution of down to 5 ms by using only 50 µl of compound solution per measurement.
Our software department developed a software package exclusively for the SURFE2R 96SE.
• The SurfControl works as the recording software and displays the data in real-time
• DataControl works as the analysis software and can be configured to automate your data analysis
• In addition, the CyBio Composer plus pre-installed workflows operate the liquid handling platform and
communicates with the recording software
SURFE²R 96SE Sensor Plates
The SURFE²R 96SE sensor plate is a proprietary innovative product by Nanion Technologies, developed for the SURFE²R 96SE. It is produced by an external partner, quality-assured in-house at Nanion headquarters and shipped from Munich to our international customers.
MaterialThe core structure of SURFE²R 96SE sensor plates are gold-coated sensors with 3 mm diameter. This structure is incorporated into a 96 well plate for easy handling. The sensor plate is enclosed by a Faraday cage and connected to a 96-channel amplifier during the experiment.
Available plate type
- "SURFE²R 96SE Sensor Plate": 96-well recording plate for the SURFE²R 96SE (Order # 182001)
Validated targets: SSM-based Electrophysiology
Testimonials & Case Studies
Data and Applications
Webinars and Movies